In 1908, a man by the name of William Wright Baldwin founded the town of Bellaire. Initially a native of Iowa, he was the president of the South End Land Company and had also been vice president of the Burlington Railroad. Bellaire was established on 1,000 acres of a 9,449-acre ranch once owned by an affluent businessman by the name of William Marsh Rice. Upon Rice's passing, he further bequeathed his fortune to the founding of Rice University located in Houston, Texas. From that 1,000 acres, Baldwin sectioned his share of the ranch into small vegetable farms that supplied various markets operating in the area and beyond. The farms were named "Westmoreland Farms," with Bellaire placed in the center to serve as a residential neighborhood for those working on the farms and as an agricultural trading hub.
Today, Bellaire is a tight knit community in the city sitting on both sides of the 610 "West Loop" it is home to highly rated schools and treasured for its tree lined streets and close proximity to Houston's Medical Center and Downtown. Many of the original homes were torn down to make way for new construction and a strong track record of appreciation. If you’re interested in learning more about available real estate in Bellaire, please contact us today.